Saturday, September 18, 2010

Shabbat Shalom

For those who do not speak Hebrew, that means "Good Sabbath". Anyway, this branch is very interesting. It's an otherwise normal branch, but it gets taken over by students so it feels more like a student unit. It's weird. Today, though, there was hardly anyone who does not live in the Center was at Church. All the roads are closed today for Yom Kippur. There was, however, a movie scouting crew visiting. That was cool, I guess.

This afternoon we walked through Orson Hyde Park on the way to the Church of All Nations and the traditional site of Gethsemane. I really liked that church. I thought it was very interesting. I'm sorry that there aren't pictures of it, but I wasn't thinking and didn't take my camera. The entryway looks like a gnarled olive tree. On the wall behind the altar are some very interesting mosaics of Christ suffering in Gethsemane and His betrayal. Just in front of the altar is the stone that it is believed was the stone that Christ suffered on. There are nine countries represented in the ceiling. I quite enjoyed identifying them. Some I am not certain of because I'm not that good at reading Latin. They are, I believe: The US, England, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Germany, Canada, France, and Brazil.

Tomorrow morning we go to Egypt. I will be sure to put up a bunch of pictures when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment